Shoot 'em ups

All things gaming related
john-boy
Global Moderator

Shoot 'em ups

Post by john-boy »

Anybody into first person shooters ? Old JB thinks he has a disability here -

See I like crpgs (Pathfinder 2 is out tomorrow BTW), I've never managed to get on with shooters, even down to Witcher 3. Picked a controller up for that and

Always seems to be"oh it's easy just press " - z-y-x left button click and a-b for forward roll and then right button, b - a sword slash, back jump and then ..

I'm sitting at me PC, tongue stuck out frantically mashing buttons. It's like texting - old school style, I couldn't do that either.

Is there some kind of knack to this or what ??
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
e3k
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Re: Shoot 'em ups

Post by e3k »

i play CS GO sometimes. it runs on linux and is for free on steam. not that i would like it that much but i can't persuade my friends for battle for wesnoth.
O.o
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

CSGO or slipgate, now this is a fun game
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

So, is there some technique to actually learning how to mash fifty buttons at the same time ? Every time I try, I have that scene from the "Orville" in me head.
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
etnull
Director of Sandbags

Post by etnull »

I used to play Q3 alot, (both defrag and FFA), I was never a very good player, even though I've played 4+ hours a day. Skill based duel mode FPS are not just about aim and reaction, it's also about strategy. Many times I saw how a good player totally destroyed some one with obvious AIM bot, the cheater simply couldn't keep up with mega spawn and couldn't collect enough armor/health to kill the skilled guy.
"You'll own nothing, - And you'll be happy." - Klaus Schwab, Founder and executive chairman of the World Economic Forum.
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

the key is not to think
for twitchy FPS (quake, slipgate), thinking gets you killed so you concentrate on the key buttons (jump, duck, reload...) and the mouse becomes 2nd nature

for the more strategic ... well configuring a layout that makes sense to you helps alot
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king